Sunday, March 15, 2009

Search Engines

Ah search engines, it seems as if now a days all the knowledge of the world is at your finger tips. Thanks to websites such as google, yahoo, and ask you can instantly find the answers to all of life's questions. Whether it be Babe Ruth's batting average in middle school, or the definition of quantum physics, you will find it all. Google, the largest search engine, and top 5 most viewed websites on the internet attracts nearly 10 million hits a day! Its amazing to think how far finding information has come over the years. My mom often reminds me of the days where her only resource was a text book, now we search the internet regardless of if we have a book or not. It is not to hard to believe that one day books will be obsolete, because of how convenient the web has made finding information. Yahoo, the second largest search engine boasts a 20+ billion page search area, Googles however is so large, the actual figure is unknown. I dont know where i would be today with out the use of the internet. My hatred for books could have kept me from going to college, but now that i have the internet at my side, i feel that anything is possible.

3 comments:

  1. Search engines have saved me from the headaches of doing extensive text book research. I use Google for EVERYTHING. When I want to find a picture, a fact or definition, a news story, a movie review, a phone number, or anything else, I type it into Google. When I was junior high, when the internet wasn't as huge, I remember it being hard to find info on the internet. I also remember it being hard to trust, probably because it was a new thing. There are plenty of websites that I still do not trust, but with library databases I feel more safe citing a source in my text.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Search engines are awesome. Every single fact or picture is at your fingertips. I cannot believe how things have changed in the past 10 years. The internet has gone above and beyond helping you find information, they now find it for you. The growth of these search engines is amazing and I can't see how any new search engines could come in and compete. Google has grown so much that they are getting 10 million hits a day which is ridiculous. Search engines have definately taken over and they really run the internet. Unless you know the exact address, you go to a search engine and that is where they make all the bucks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally, I think search engines are a major lifesavor! Like you said, they can come up with almost anything you can think of in a matter of seconds. I remember back in grade school learning to use encyclopedia's and dictionaries in order to find what I needed. And that could often take forever, not to mention the results were very limited! Now it seems like I depend on google for the answers to everything!

    ReplyDelete